June 23, 2007

Wedding Madness and Bitterseet Memories

Well, (today) is the third wedding in a row and it is the one I am most pumped for. My best friend Oli, is getting married to Ann in a park at 3pm. Although my housemate Matt would say that all this wedding business isn't worth the trouble, I disagree. I think it's awesome to see two crazy cool people come together with a commitment to weather the storms of life together with God leading them. I am not ready for that day all that soon, but I can appreciate that many of friends are ready for a shared lifetime with one they love dearly. Anyways, enough on weddings...
This past week has been pretty eventful. I finished my first year of teaching. It was a bittersweet day on Tuesday when I turned in my keys and closed my door for the last time. It was great to hear from many of my colleagues that I would be missed and that they wished they could do what I am embarking upon... I am setting off this summer to follow my dreams of serious training for long distance running. My hopes are to make the Olympic trials for now. I want to set PR's in all of the distance events that I run too. These dreams will cause me to move to either Flagstaff, AZ or Seattle, WA. These are places where I can train with highly motivated runners, get coaching from experts, and have the facilities nearby that I will need to utilize to attain my goals. I feel kind of silly wanting to follow my dreams like this... like I should grow up already... but in a day when it seems that more and more people are dissatisfied with life and people don't like who they are and wonder how they became who they are now... I wonder if I will be able to avoid that for a bit longer.
It's not just that I am following some silly dream... it's more than that. I feel like I have been given a choice by the Lord to run or teach. It's a choice that I have to make and no one else can make it for me. I want to do now what I likely won't be able to do later on in life. I don't want to have regrets. I want to enjoy the life the Lord is offering to me. And as I think about what that will look like, I think of a friend of mine who will be doing some medical missions to PNG (Paupua New Guinea). She is following the leading of the Lord and serving others. I know I can serve through what I do. I want to do that. If you see me around, could you help me remember that? I would really appreciate it!

Good Night!
"Shootz"

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Mr Schuetze, it's Ariel and I finally got around to checking out your blog.

    It's really awesome that you're moving to Seattle to run. I know everyone in our 5th period Physics class thought it was awesome that you run like you do, and it's even cooler that you're going after your dreams. Especially when everyone seems to put such an emphasis on money and security, it's harder to take those risks that following dreams involves. I'll be sure to follow your blog! I hope everything works out well. :)

    Besides, you can always teach when you're old and you've got shin splints or bad knees or something :P

    ~Ariel

    ReplyDelete