August 17, 2007

Training for Life

So, it’s been a long time. Since I last updated I’ve been really busy. Here’s a brief rundown. I finished a race (weblink) in Canada and ran very well. I climbed the “Chinaman” mountain in Canmore with the other USMR (US Mountain Runners) I was with… they were going crazy fast up that super steep mountain… Then I flew to Reno where I spent the night in the airport (my own decision), bad decision. I got to the AIA (Altheltes in Action) Altitude Camp a day late and that’s where I’ve been for the past 2.5 weeks.

We’ve been running around Mammoth Lakes, CA having a blast. Be it tempos, fartleks, mile repeats, or sweet long runs; this place is running heaven. Just make sure you get out the door early enough to enjoy a bit a reprieve from the heat in the afternoon. Having a cold creek to ice in and a pool to relax with friends helps quite a bit.

The main focus of this camp is two-fold. The first is the obvious running. The second is getting in God’s Word to see what He says about how to live. Through this aspect, we incorporate our faith and running. The realization that running is not life, like some shoe company once said, is one that most people have not stopped to think about. If you put all of your thoughts and time into one thing, you might get pretty good at that thing, but consider the cost. We need to have balance in our lives… including community with others and a realization that there is more to the world than me and my life.

At this camp we share a lot from our lives with everyone. I have shared things I am good at and things that I struggle with. There is so much freedom that comes from me sharing the things that I struggle with, even though it is hard. I realize that I am not the only one that struggles in this way, though I often believe that lie. I also am comforted by a group of people who want the best for me. These people really want me to grow as a person and as a believer. I trust these people. As you are reading this, I hope you to can understand the importance of sharing your burdens. I like the verses from the Bible that tell us that two are better than one and that a cord of three strands is not easily broken. I also like the verse from the Proverbs that says “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” I want to help others and I want others to help me. For this to be deeply helpful there needs to be trust and love. That can only happen fully I believe in a strong Christian community. I hope you can find one that feeds you spiritually and socially.

As I look forward to moving up to Seattle, I am praying for a community that I can be a part of that brings fullness of life to those involved and additionally, one that shares that light of life with others too. I want to be challenged, I want to held accountable, I want to trusted, respected and loved. A group where I am considered family. I am excited in not knowing what this will look like and hopeful that it will be greater than I expect. But I know that I likely won’t walk into such a group, but that I will in some way need to be a part of its creation. I am praying for just that. I pray that you will find the same.

I hope you make this a great day,

Nick Schuetze

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you're saying about having truth and love in order for people to help each other grow, but I think finding it only in a strong christian community is quite exclusive. Perhaps that is where you yourself most easily find it, but I believe the same thing can be found in any community with strong faith. Faith in the goodness of people, faith in themselves, in others, in the world, or in God. I think all it takes for such a community to exist is a group of people who have the ability to trust something greater than themselves. Most often that something greater is God, or something comprabable. But not always. I feel that's worth remembering.
    ~Ariel

    ReplyDelete