November 06, 2008

My upcoming ear surgery


So, I just wanted to fill people in on the upcoming ear surgery. Thanks to all of you would are praying/thinking about/for me. I really appreciate it.

Thursday, Nov 6th:
Arrive at Providence St. Vincents Hospital @ 11:30AM

*UPDATE

Due to scheduling problems through my doctor's office, the surgeon was double-booked for surgeries today... and since I didn't want a half-rate job... I'm going in tomorrow, Friday the 7th, @ the exact same time!

...Continue with explanation...
... do paperwork..., talk to doctor, sharpie the right side ear w/ large "NO",... get IV... hope I don't pass out...talk to the surgeon and knock-out guy (can spell anesthesiologist)....
Surgery scheduled for start @ 1:30PM.
I believe that the procedure to reconnect the eardrum to the Cochlea brown, snail looking thing) (I am missing the 3 bones that should connect these.. those white-ish ones that are right and kinda above the eardrum at the end of the ear canal) w/ a tiny piece of titanium will take about 2 hours. They will also open up my ear canal a bit, since it's shrunken/small.
I will wake up after they stitch me up (hopefully) and be incredibly drowsy... which means that I'll be awake for 10 seconds, then fall back asleep... and repeat this for maybe half and hour.
One of my parents will take me home and we will buy some pain meds for the impending ear ache.
I get home, maybe around 8PM, kinda loopy and hungry. Have some tomato soup and go to bed.

Recovery... no running/physical activity for about 4 weeks (I can't let the BP or HR get high during the healing process) ... small parts, very tricky. I will have a nifty headband for a couple day. I will have cotton in my ear for at least 2 weeks. I will have packing material in the ear for maybe 2-3 weeks. Each week I go in to see the doc. He checks things out, then sends me home. I eat his candy and read his anatomy books.

I'll keep the updates coming and post crazy pics here or there. Okay? Alrighty! Glad you could be along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment